As part of Esri Education and Community Program, Esri Indonesia today announce the country’s first GIS Award. The award recognise universities for their exceptional impact and support for the spatial technology awareness in the field of education and community.
Since 2014 Esri Indonesia has been collaborate with more than 39 universities and 7,984 licenses being used. Apart from providing license donations, Esri Indonesia also provides capacity building to the academic community through public lectures, training, and competitions to explore innovations from students.
The initiative is aimed at encouraging innovation in GIS research and promoting teaching excellence in spatial data management and analysis in higher education across Indonesia. Universities and community are collaborating to solve many of big issues the world is facing today which fundamentally tied to space and place.
According to Dr. Achmad Istamar, Chief Executive Officer of Esri Indonesia, partnering with faculty is one of key priority for Esri Indonesia as they support the innovative and important research taking place at universities across the country.
“We are glad to be collaborating with such distinguished universities and experts in their perspective fields, who can contribute to the advancement of geospatial technology. This award is our highly appreciation for educators, students, and community who have applied our solutions to teach, investigate, and plan to improve the quality of education. The most is for carrying out Tridharma Perguruan Tinggi which comprising Education, Research and Community Service,” said Dr. Istamar.
Dr Istamar further explained that Esri Education and Community will continue to promote collaborative research projects that advance the technology and share the outcomes of those projects with the technology community in Indonesia and around the world.
“We are committed to supporting teaching and research in higher education. We would like to empower students with the right skills and perspective to best deal with the big issues the world is facing today and solve it by using our technology,” he said.
During this pandemic situation, Esri Indonesia and universities are taking precautionary measures against the virus outbreak in the country by integrates information and visualizes it on a dynamic mapping dashboard. It will give users a compelling view and analyze outbreak data in the country and community.
“New ways of learning are now more essential than ever. GIS allows us to grapple with current issues that the world’s facing and use geographic information to make wise decision. It is also allowing our students to have the critical thinking and spatial analysis skills needed in today’s workforce. We hope with this appreciation we can continuously support higher level of learning not only in our universities but across Indonesia,” Prof. Dr. Ir. Mochamad Ashari, M. Eng., Dean of Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (ITS)
“Winning this GIS Award from Esri Indonesia validates our achievements and our dedication to geospatial technology. Together with Esri, we can equip our students with both the needed skills and help them success in the advancing digital era. The learning programs bring together real-world industry experience in GIS software, hands-on exercises, and best practices," said Dr. H Marzuki Alie, SE MM- Dean of Universitas Indo Global Mandiri
Winners based on the following categories are:
- GIS Ambassador University: Institut Pertanian Bogor, Universitas Indonesia, Universitas Indo Global Mandiri and Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (ITS)
- GIS Advisor University: Universitas Gadjah Mada, Institut Teknologi Bandung, Universitas Brawijaya, Universitas Hasanuddin, Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia, Unversitas Bina Nusantara.
- GIS Navigator University: Universitas Syah Kuala, Universitas Sam Ratulangi, Universitas Diponegoro, Universitas Negeri Malang, Universitas Sriwijaya, Universitas Muhammadiyah Yogkarta, Universitas Mulawarman, Universitas Negeri Semarang, Universitas Pembangunan Nasional Veteran Yogyakarta, Universitas Sumatra Utara, Universitas Pattimura, Universitas Tadulako dan Institut Teknologi Sumatra.
- GIS Role Model: Satria Indratmoko (Universitas Indonesia) and Arif Kurnia Wijayanto (IPB University)
- GIS Influencer: Sumi Amariena Hamim (Universitas Indo Global Mandiri) and Adipandang Yudono (Universitas Brawijaya)
- GIS Influencer for School: Lili Somantri (Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia)
Esri Indonesia Education and Community program continues to expand their program and seeking universities and community to innovate and revolutionize world’s problem with geospatial technology based. Through partnerships with top educational institutions across the country, programs from Esri Indonesia are designed to support educators, researchers, and universities in developing a successful and sustainable GIS program.