Introduction to GIS Using ArcGIS
Strictly by pre-registration only
What is this course about?
Learn fundamental concepts that underlie GIS technology and geographic data. In this ArcGIS Pro course, you will gain experience using GIS maps to visualize and explore real-world features; analyze data to answer questions and create new information; and share maps, data, and other resources so they can be easily accessed throughout your organization.
Are there any prerequisites?
- Experience with Windows-based software for basic file management and browsing
What skills will I learn?
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify appropriate data to support a mapping project.
- Create a map, add data to it, and symbolize map features to support the map's purpose.
- Share data, maps, and other content to an organizational portal.
- Perform spatial analysis to obtain information about map features within an area of interest
What can I expect?
- Course topics
Welcome to GIS
- GIS components
- GIS capabilities
- The geographic approach
- What is ArcGIS?
- Use ArcGIS
- Spatial data
- Working with tables
- Vector data, raster data, imagery
- Choosing GIS data
- Explore data collection
Managing GIS data
- Data management with geodatabases
- Adding data to a map
- Explore data management
- Share data in ArcGIS
Exploring coordinate systems
- Coordinate systems
- The importance of coordinate systems
- Explore spatial distortion
- Work with coordinate systems
Mapping and visualization
- Map components
- Identify effective map elements
- Use ArcGIS for mapping and visualization (change symbology, use scale ranges, use pop-ups)
- visualize maps layers in 3D
- What is spatial analysis?
- Spatial analysis workflow
- Types of spatial analysis
- Use ArcGIS to explore 3D analysis
- Use ArcGIS Pro for spatial analysis
- Use ArcGIS Online for spatial analysis
Putting GIS to use
- The geographic approach review
- Applying the geographic approach
- Identify shelter locations using ArcGIS
- Sharing results with ArcGIS
- How will you use ArcGIS?