Creating Python Scripts for ArcGIS
Strictly by pre-registration only
What is this course about?
Time is valuable. Learn how to create scripts that will streamline your GIS work. This course teaches how to access the Python environment in ArcGIS Pro, script common data management tasks, and automate geoprocessing workflows. You'll learn techniques to share your scripts so they are easily accessible both inside and outside ArcGIS Pro.
Are there any prerequisites?
- This course assumes basic familiarity with GIS concepts.
- Some familiarity with Python and basic programming concepts is assumed.
- Completion of ArcGIS Pro: Essential Workflows or Migrating from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro or equivalent knowledge is required.
What skills will I learn?
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Apply Python syntax rules, error-handling techniques, and tool validation to create robust scripts in ArcGIS Pro.
- Use lists and loops to repeat geoprocessing tasks within a script to create an efficient, repeatable analysis workflow.
- Use cursors to access geospatial data, edit attributes, and create and modify features.
- Create geoprocessing packages and custom script tools to share your Python scripts with other ArcGIS users.
What can I expect?
- Course topics
Python automation for your organization
- Benefits of Python automation
- The Python script creation workflow
- Integrating Python in ArcGIS Pro
- Python development and run environments
- Accessing Python
- Adding Python packages to ArcGIS Pro
Using Python to access geoprocessing tools
- Viewing parameters in a geoprocessing tool
- Explore the syntax of a geoprocessing tool
- Ways to use variables in a script
- Using variables in a script
- Create a simple script with variables
- Python troubleshooting techniques
- Troubleshooting errors in a script
- Add troubleshooting techniques to a Python script
Using Describe properties in geoprocessing tools
- Accessing properties with a Describe function
- Identify available Describe function properties
- Describe syntax and usage
- Accessing Describe properties
- Use the Describe function in a geoprocessing script
- Using the da.Describe object in a geoprocessing script
Automating Python scripts with lists
- List functions in Python
- Examine the ListFiles function
- Finishing the List function syntax
- Prepare to automate with Python lists
- Using a for loop
- Using a for loop to iterate over lists
- Automate a geoprocessing workflow using loops
Working with cursors
- Types of cursors
- Examine cursors
- Determine which cursor to use
- Exploring cursor syntax
- Using cursors in a workflow
- Apply the cursor workflow
- Read and update values in a feature class
Geoprocessing with geometry objects
- Benefits of geometry objects
- Workflows to create geometry objects
- Discovering polyline geometry objects
- Components of a geometry object
- Discover geometry object methods
- Convert coordinates into affected area polygons
Error management techniques
- Types of errors that occur in geoprocessing
- Using try-except statements
- Error handling techniques
- Introducing error handling in Python scripts
- Determining the error handling technique
- Apply error handling techniques
Creating a Python script tool
- Improving script accessibility
- Components of a Python script tool
- Accepting user input
- Parameter identification
- Create a Python script tool
Adding validation to script tools
- Customizing script tool behavior
- Using validation to create customizations
- Validate script tool inputs using ToolValidator methods
- Add custom messaging to a script tool
Using Python script tools in the platform
- Methods to share a Python script tool
- Determining the appropriate method
- Workflow to share a Python script tool
- Share a geoprocessing package
- Sharing a web tool within the ArcGIS platform