ArcGIS 2: Essential Workflows
Strictly by pre-registration only
What is this course about?
Part two of Esri Indonesia's introductory GIS training course for beginners using ArcGIS for Desktop (ArcMap).
The course suits GIS professionals and others who have an introductory-level knowledge of GIS concepts and limited ArcGIS experience.
In this course, you will acquire the fundamental skills needed to author, share and use geographic information and maps across the ArcGIS platform.
You will learn how to efficiently find, explore, manage, and analyse geographic data and create informative maps that showcase your work. The course covers a variety of techniques to effectively share GIS maps and resources with decision makers, stakeholders, and the public.
Are there any prerequisites?
What skills will I learn?
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Use ArcGIS software and content to create high-quality maps that combine data from different sources
- Organise, create, and edit geographic data so it is accurate and up to date
- Manage, symbolise, and label map layers to support visualisation and data exploration
- Design an attractive page layout for maps that will be printed
- Apply a standard workflow to analyse GIS data and solve spatial problems
- Share maps and analysis results so they are accessible on multiple platforms
What can I expect?
- Course topics
Authoring, sharing, and using GIS maps
- Understanding the workflow
- Creating maps that combine local data with ArcGIS Online content
- Publishing a map to the web
Organizing geographic data
- Finding data for a project
- Storing data from different sources in a file geodatabase
- Documenting data for a project
Managing map layers
- Setting scale ranges to improve map display
- Presenting filtered views of data using definition queries
- Creating group layers and basemap layers to organise map contents
- Understanding quantitative and qualitative data
- Symbolising features by attribute values
- Classification methods
- Normalising data
Working with tabular data
- Adding fields and calculating values
- Summarising fields
- Table joins and relates
Creating and editing data
- Editing workflow
- Feature templates
- Creating new features
- Updating feature shapes and attributes
- Labeling workflow and options
- Understanding reference scale
- Automating label placement using Maplex
- Python label expressions
Designing map layouts
- Cartographic design principles
- Adding map elements
- Creating and publishing single maps and map books
Preparing data for analysis
- Evaluating data quality
- Changing a dataset's coordinate system
Solving spatial problems
- Analysis workflow
- Working with geoprocessing tools
Sharing geographic information
- Options for sharing geographic information
- Create a model
- Sharing analysis workflows using geo-processing packages