Working with Lidar Data in ArcGIS
Strictly by pre-registration only
What is this course about?
This course introduces light detection and ranging (lidar) data concepts, collection methods, quality-control considerations, and common applications. Techniques to manage, edit, visualize, and share lidar-derived 2D and 3D information products using ArcGIS Pro are covered.
Visualisation, Editing and Analysis Course
Are there any prerequisites?
Completion of ArcGIS Pro: Essential Workflows or Migrating from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro or equivalent knowledge.
What skills will I learn?
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Validate the quality and accuracy of lidar data.
- Edit lidar data to correct errors.
- Organize, process, visualize, and share lidar data using ArcGIS LAS datasets, mosaic datasets, and point cloud scene layers.
- Derive useful information products from lidar data, including raster surfaces, building footprints, and vegetation estimates.
What can I expect?
- Course topics
Exploring lidar data
- What is lidar?
- Lidar returns
- Examine lidar attributes
- Lidar classification
- Collecting lidar data
- Storing lidar data
- Explore lidar data in ArcGIS Pro
Using lidar data in ArcGIS Pro
- LAS files in ArcGIS
- Managing lidar data in ArcGIS
- Choosing a lidar data type
- What is a LAS dataset?
- Identify surface constraints
- Exploring a LAS dataset
- Create and work with LAS datasets
Creating surfaces from lidar
- Common surface models
- Creating a raster surface from lidar
- Output resolution
- Interpolating output cell values
- Creating surfaces from lidar
- What is a mosaic dataset? Pros and cons of managing lidar data with mosaic datasets
- Managing lidar in a mosaic dataset
Modifying lidar data
- Why edit?
- Editing methods
- Lidar editing considerations
- Choosing an editing method
- Edit a LAS dataset
Creating and sharing 3D layers with lidar
- The power of 3D
- Using 3D features
- 3D geometries
- Creating 3D buildings
- Create 3D buildings from lidar
- Challenges with sharing lidar
- Sharing 3D layers
- Share lidar data to a portal